PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heston: wartime crashes and incidents
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2011, 15:19
AWF118

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a bomber base

Greetings Props. Probably not, as I didn't join until 1951. I'll PM or email in case we were neighbours though.

On another tack, the statement in the first quote, part of the opening post here, that "Heston Airport was close by and always busy with Flying Fortresses taking off and landing.." is, of course, as inaccurate as my recollection of the Ju88's nose. structure. Heston, a grass field, with a max take off run of 3,000 feet, was too small to have ever been a bomber base of any sort - a laden B17 ("Flying Fortress"), for example, needed a minimum of about 4,000 feet to get safely airborne even from a hard runway.

Heston spent the war, initially as the original Spitfire-operating photo reconnaisance base, then as a pure fighter base with mainly Hurricanes or Spitfires, within 11 Group Fighter Command and subordinate to Northolt. Polish squadrons were frequently detached to Heston. In 1943-44, the Allied Expeditionary Force Communication Flight formed at Heston, with small communications types, before moving to Gatwick where it also operated larger aircraft into Europe after D-Day.

Probably, the largest warbirds regularly seen at Heston were the Turbinlite Havocs, developed and initially operated there in 1941, or possibly the Northrop Black Widow(s), much in evidence at the end of the war. Post war, Heston Aircraft Company did conversion work on Sea Hornets and they, plus Fireflies on test from Fairey's Hayes factory were the final warbirds to regularly be seen there.