PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 9th Mar 2011, 14:59
Clintonb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea i know i been looking for ever but trying to get all my research done and dry my resources so i know i have covered everything.

In South Africa doing your helicopter training is a lot more expensive than doing your fixed wing and I'm sure anybody that is south african or lives and training in south africa can even agree with me on that. Thats why since Ive been here in south africa for the past 10 days I've heard that they do their fixed wing first and then go over to helicopters and finish the final 100 hrs making it cheaper than doing the full 200 hrs in a helicopter. but looking more into helicopter training now in the states it seems as helicopter and fixed wing are similar prices.

but when searching the sites i dont see any night rating for helicopters or included in the programs so is night rating even regarded in the training in the states for helicopters?

another thing I've been told by calling helicopter schools is that once you got your commercial license its best to get a turbine rating in like a jetranger which boosts your chances of getting a job and that even though times are hard there is a shortage of helicopter pilots around the world because its harder to get than fixed wing.

Thanks for the time look forward to your answers.
Safe flying