PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2011, 12:22
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAJ,

Apology accepted and thank you.

As I said, the FA2 decision was set up by the RAF in the MoD - JFH was given a choice of cutting FA2 or going cap in hand to the wider RAF to get the funds needed for the GR7 to 9 conversion, which had gone way over expected costs. Carrier costs weren't the issue (then).

Yes, 12 is about the max on the boat, although the USMC have put 25 on very similar sized decks. Driving factors would be weapons and fuel available on the CVS - although the RN has a pretty spiffy supply chain called the RFA. My point about numbers was that we had a pretty good number of aircraft that could sustain our tasks. The RN put three front line units in the air and on board for about the same overall strength. Oh, and by the way, until SDSR we had two carriers.

Yes, Tornado is 'longer range' - depending on weapons carried, and I am sure is more capable -although I believe the EOTS pod carried by Harrier beats anything the 'Fin' currently has. However, 'capability' comprises many attributes - and the key question this SDSR asked (wrongly) was 'what do we need for the Stan?'. Harrier's plenty good enough for that. It also had a way lower logs footprint, which in Afghan terms is a real plus. Harrier was designed from the wheels up to operate forward with reduced support - Tornado wasn't. Doesn't make Tornado a bad aircraft - just not as well suited for the Stan, in my view.

Current lack of a usable Typhoon A-G capability is an absolute national scandal and needs to be exposed. The RAF have been allowed to go on with what was always a dedicated AD programme for years too long, consuming a quite startling proportion of the defence budget. See the latest NAO report for the figures - first time they've been released. Again, I'm not anti-RAF, or anti Typhoon. I just think that the balance has been all wrong for a decade or more. AT, SH, MPA and now maritime aviation have all been sacrificed to sustain the '232 Typhoon' fleet that was allowed to go through the 98 SDR. Hasn't done the RAF any favours in the end.

Thanks for coming back and good to swap views and opinions.

Best Regards

Engines