PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria helicopter crash: tributes and condolences
Old 9th Mar 2011, 11:24
jjangus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Statement

Statement from Honister Slate Mine
The family and staff of Honister Slate Mine have today requested the following tribute be circulated to the media.
Just after 7pm last night (Tuesday March 8th) Mark left the slate mine in his helicopter following a day’s work at his mining and tourism business at the top of Honister Pass near Keswick, Borrowdale, Cumbria.
When he failed to return to his home near Cockermouth, his wife and the mother of his three children alerted the emergency services.
A search of the area by the authorities located his stricken helicopter from which his body was recovered.
At this time, the precise circumstances and causes of the accident are unknown. A full investigation is under way.
Mark was 45. Mark's family and staff at Honister Slate Mine are “totally devastated,” and bereft by their loss.
The family and staff fully respect the right of the media to ascertain more information but respectful request that they do not directly approach or contact the family as they attempt to cope with this profound and tragic loss.
A spokesman for Honister said: “Mark was a charismatic Lake District legend with a lust for life and a giant personality. He was passionate about everything he did from fatherhood to flying and business. He loved questioning authority but won many doubters over through sheer force of his personality. He was that rare mix of shrewd businessman and creative entrepreneur – just as comfortable in the company of Royalty and celebrity, as he was driving diggers with slate miners or making tea with the tourists who flocked to the mine. Mark loved Honister and Mark was Honister. He loved flying, he loved life in the Lake District. He was a fully-trained pilot with decades of experience and would never take a risk. He is irreplaceable both as a man, a son, a father, a partner, a businessman, a boss and a human being.”
Eric Robson, Chairman of Cumbria Tourism, paid tribute on behalf of the Lake District tourism industry. He said: “Mark brought such a spirited dynamism to the debate about creating a thriving tourism economy to the Lakes. He genuinely loved Honister and the community of Borrowdale, he was rooted there and wanted to do the best for them.
“You also have to give him credit for how he pushed projects through when everybody was saying you can’t do that or you’ll never get away with it. He did, and he brought a tremendous amount of joy to people who enjoyed them. He will be enormously missed.”