PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - spin, stall & first solo scary?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2011, 08:21
M14_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverseflight,

I like your style. Get yourself in a Pitts, and a decent instructor, and go check out inverted spinning, really good fun.

If aerobatics was outlawed tomorrow, I would damn near walk away from aviation, such is my passion for aerobatic flight, some would call it obsession... Anyone who is knew, or not to this game, aerobatic training is a must. It will improve your situational awareness and ability like you couldn't possibly believe. I'd compare it to doing a full drift course at a race circuit, compared to working the indicators, pressing a pedal or two during a normal driving test.....

Tankengine, it is wrong, purely and simple. Spinning should be a requirement, not an option, for the PPL. It used to be, when trainees flew unstable taildragger biplanes. A Tiger will not fly straight without exactly the right inputs, I learn something new with them every time I go up. Now we have simple, boring, predictable, stable, easy, simple, did I say boring trainers that simply don't allow students to develop feel for the machine in those early days of training.
The problem is, the general perception is that taildraggers are differcult, that is how they are portrayed at many institutions, and so students get put off them.
a year ago or so, I was trying to explain adverse yaw to a student, in a cherokee...and it was really differcult to get them to see what the nose does...but I remember when I had a go in an Auster, how pronounced it was, I reckon everyone should do their medium turns lesson in an Auster. Gorgeous aeroplane.