PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2011, 01:51
The Kelpie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is another Bruce-ism

The conditions are fairly good. That is why, when we advertised for 80 cadet positions, we had 4,800 applications.
...and do you know why you got that many applicants, all willing to pay $300 for selection plus flights, accomodation etc.?

Because you did not tell anyone that they would be employed in New Zealand on effectively casual contract with absolutely pitful salaries with conditions of employment that belong in a bygone era. The cadets that did get in were only given access to all these details on their first day at Oxford to start training. Some had the balls to pull out at that stage after resigning jobs rather than subject themselves to 6 years of poverty, misery and uncertainty.

In my experience this is extremely shonky practice!!

.....and don't think you are off the hook Oxford because you were the ones running this circus on behalf of Jetstar. Shonky practice that does not fit in with the professional image you tried to peddle to the senator last Friday Mr Petteford. Oxford are only interested in drawing down the FEE HELP loans!

In the UK, Oxford have been significantly affected by the inability for potential customers (a term I use loosely) to obtain Financial funding to finance the course due to the GFC and the unwillingness of the banks to see pilot training as a sound investment. Petteford must have thought all his Christmas's had come at once when he learned that the Australian Government are able to fund 86k of un-means-tested funding to anyone with an oz passport. The one off FEE HELP fee has now been increased to 25% so a drawdown of 86k means an instand debt of $107,500 increasing each year with the CPI.

I call on Swinburne University to distance themselves from this debarcle in the name of maintaining your respected status in Australia. Oxford are using you and this is proved by the fact that the Jetstar Asia cadet Programme does not feature you at all because the singaporean applicants are not eligible for FEE HELP

More to Follow

The Kelpie

Last edited by The Kelpie; 9th Mar 2011 at 02:19.