PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 20:36
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buildntime,

I agree, there is no evidence whatsoever that 'low time' equals dangerous. I have said it many times before and will say it again, cadets can and do make very good airline pilots. I have been involved in a cadet scheme for a legacy carrier overseas, they take 180 hour pilots out of flying school and then give them a Jet Orientation Course in the simulator before typerating them and clearing them to line with around 250 hours tt onto A320's, 737's, 757's and 767's. The 'cadet' would do the J.O.C. with either Oxford Aviation in the UK or CTC just as the Jetstar Cadets are doing. This legacy carrier's training system is no better or worse than that of Jetstar and they are regarded as one of the safest in the world.

What this inquiry should be about is fatigue, terms and conditions and regulatory oversight!! The thing that killed everyone onboard that DCH-8 in Buffalo was not crew inexperience (both had over 1,500 hours) it was fatigue!! Returning from a duty at 3am in the morning to then report at 13.30 that same day for a 4 sector day shouldn't be allowed. Pilots should not have to 'pay' for their training, this should be legislated against, bonding pilots is acceptable to ensure a return for investment is fine but no money should be taken from the pilot. Companies should have to compensate all pilots for medicals, licences, uniforms, manuals etc

Finally CASA should get a bloodly bullet!! Why do they seem to give 'exemptions' to the airlines so willingly, why were flight time limitations relaxed to allow high capacity low cost operators to work pilots for longer?? Why did CASA give an exemption to allow operators to fly with one less Cabin Crew Member than legislated for, why are all the reductions in safety i.e. reduction of minimum training hours, increase in duty hours all approved by CASA...... Because they are an extension of airline management and have become useless in their regulatory role. Boston Bruce was right in his testimony about the fact that Alteon doesn't even use A320 experienced instructors when he said 'CASA approves the training organisation'. CASA needs a good slap!! Who approved the Jetstar Cadet Scheme.... CASA, why are the cadets not flying in New Zealand, because the New Zealand CAA said 'no-way' not until they have 500 hours rpt, did CASA enforce such a limit.. NO, they approved the Cadet scheme.

Rant over.