PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ETOPS Rules & Long/New Flight Routes
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 20:26
AeroTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETOPS Rules & Long/New Flight Routes

Hi,

Few years ago FAA released new ETOPS rules. May be also other organizations like JAA, ICAO…etc released new ETOPS rules (before or after FAA).

1) I am wondering if these new ETOPS rules affected/are affecting long/new flight routes for twin or 3-4 engines aircraft.

2) What’s the maximum diversion time for ETOPS flights according to the recent ETOPS rules? What are the factors/criteria that determine the diversion time?

3) Are the ETOPS fuel reserves (especially after considering engine failure) affecting the operating cost of twin aircraft or 3-4 engines aircraft on long/new flight routes (Polar, Artic, Pacific, and High Mountains…)?

4) Are the ETOPS fuel reserves (especially after considering engine failures and/or depressurization) affecting the operating cost of twin aircraft or 3-4 engines aircraft on long/new flight routes (polar, pacific, high mountains…etc)? Especially if we think about longer diversion time for twin and 2 engines failure for 3-4 engines aircraft if flying over high mountains (like Himalayan mountains, although I am not sure if you have to consider 2 engines failure when using a 3-4 engines aircraft).

I guess airlines are required to provide and implement “passenger recovery plan” on alternate airports with inclement weather in case of diversion.
5) Are the “passenger recovering plan” and the ETOPS fuel reserves retarding the opening of new and direct flight routes? OR

6) Is insufficient engine reliability (or even engine technology) and systems redundancy (including human errors) retarding the opening of new and direct flight routes?

Please provide details and explanations instead of saying: if airlines don’t make money, they will not use such long/new flight routes…etc. Thank you.

Feedback appreciated.
Regards