PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4FTS RAF Valley
Thread: 4FTS RAF Valley
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 19:28
26er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All you poor sprogs, get some in. I did my AFS at Valley in 1951 - dual on Meteor T7s and solo on Vampire F1s and 5s and evenings spent at Auntie Tatties in Rhosneigr, reached on bicycles. No students at that time could afford a car. But enough of that.

As a cadet pilot on the first course at RAF Jurby we had a signaller one (flight sergeant to you sprogs) whose aim was to teach us morse. In a later life he became a pilot passing through 4FTS. In an even later life he and I flew together on occasions in BA where he was known affectionately as Bungalow B******. Nothing up top! Anyhow the subject of a certain chap who flew under Tower Bridge came up who had taken him on his Gnat famil flight. Old Bungalow swore blind that said officer pulled up into a loop and completed it by flying under the Menai bridge to show him how fighter pilots did things. I personally believe that Bungalow had his eyes shut all the way round but there must be others from that time at Valley who may know if this was likely to be true. Looking at the map it seems improbable but Alan was in the habit of doing improbable things. I'm told that one New Years Day he lead a formation to drop bogrolls on Group HQ near Reading but owing to a navigation error the Ministry of Pensions building, or some such, was showered instead. They arrived back at Valley to be met by the Station Commander and Wingco Flying who were intent on delivering a bollocking for a previous misdemeanour not realising where the brave lads had just been.