PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this Fair?
Thread: Is this Fair?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 18:04
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that given the MOD statements on 'flying training redundancies' they would find it hard to back peddle and just show you the door. However, we have proved year after year that just because there is a course of A* students doesn't mean they will all get what they want. How many pilots have been given a 'single seat rec' at Valley/Tac Wpns only to be posted to the GR1/4 or F3 because there weren't the places on the single seat OCUs (perhaps because the others on the course were better ....) or been streamed to a role/fleet other than that of their wish because that was where the demand for new pilots was? It could be argued that the current situation is no different - places are fewer therefore the number required is less and so only the very best get through (i.e the goalposts move and those who fall by the wayside have 'failed to achieve the required standard').

The point I am making is that those who are being shown the door whilst still under training are, IMHO, "lucky" (and before I'm flamed please note the use of the " ") to be offered exit on redundancy terms. There are an awful lot of people who have got much further through the system (including onto squadrons) who, when failing to meet the standard applicable at that time, have been shown the door with liitle more than a "don't forget to hand your watch back". Of course, the flip side to this is there may also be quite a few aircrew on squadrons now who only got through the system because the demand was high and the standards at the time were low!!

As before, good luck in whatever path you choose to follow.