PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 8th Mar 2011, 17:21
Clintonb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixed wing training then convert to helicopters

Hi there

Wondering if anyone can help me out here. i'm a South African and European citizen i've done research on fixed wing and rotary training i've read and been told in South Africa and in Europe people do their fixed wing up to commercial and then with the hours they have they go on to rotary commercial minimising all the hours they have to do making it cheaper. fixed wing is a lot cheaper than rotary in these countries rotary being usually 20-30k more than fixed wing.

i've looked into the states to get an FAA to get my foot in the door plus its cheaper and it seems like fixed wing and rotary training are similar prices i've called few schools in the states to see wether its the same as other parts of the world doing your fixed wing building hours and then converting to helicopters they say yes you can do it also in the states but they say why spend double the money on getting both licenses i tried to explain in depth what i was trying to get but it didn't seem like they understood.

So if i do fixed wing training in the states up to CPL leaving with 200-250hr then go do my CPL rotary training will i have to start from scratch again with PPL or will i just need to do 30-40 hrs with an instructor and do few exams as fixed wing emergency procedures are different to rotary????

Hope i've been clear and specific enough. Any info to shed some light would be much appreciated.
Thanks for all your time. Safe flying