PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NOTAM's on Google Earth
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 17:03
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the end of the day, the only proof you have - should you need it - that you've checked relevant NOTAMs is by having either a record of an AIS website briefing logged against your AIS user ID, or by a caller ID record from your phone to the AIS info line - hence the reason for the Google Chrome mapping extension for the AIS website.

However, once I started publishing these apps it became quite clear from the feedback that there are whole swathes of airspace users who have only the vaguest concept of what a NOTAM is, and who never in a month of Sundays have gone through the process of registering at the AIS website - I'm not saying it's an acceptable situation, but that's how it is. Hopefully presenting the a distilled summary of the most pressing items in an easily accessed form goes some way to raising awareness in those communities at least. I also check the data even if I'm not flying - you'd be amazed the number of times I've pointed out tempo airspace in the vicinity to folk about the launch into the blue yonder for a local bimble.

I have no idea what NATS or Eurocontrol have in the pipeline regarding future means of NOTAM presentation once the AIXM structured feeds come online. In the meantime I'll just keep tweaking these independent efforts.

I have a plan to add to the AIS website Chrome extension a map pane at the Narrow Route Brief search criteria entry phase, which will populate the waypoint form elements from a route drawn on the map, with lookups for ICAO airfield and navaid identifiers as well as the airway waypoint identifiers, as a mirror of the current support which should unpickle a Narrow Route specification from the generated PIB and plot it on the map - which might come in handy.

Last edited by eharding; 8th Mar 2011 at 17:28. Reason: spling