PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RCAF Flying Boats. Pre WW 2 in Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Old 8th Mar 2011, 15:03
hardrations

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RCAF Flying Boats. Pre WW 2 in Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Well this is a bit forward for a fella to post his first posting in the Aviation History and Nostalgia, but I was given a photo album that was found in a home near Winnipeg Beach (Lake Winnipeg) which had personal photos of the days from when the RCAF did Forest Fire patrol and aerial survey of Northern Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

The photo's are of Vicker Vikings and Avro Seaplanes.The photos are in flight, moored, crashed, recovery,engine replacement, crews, officers and enlisted personal. There is also a group photo of a 1927 Pilots course in Vancouver, which I believe was made up of mainly former WW 1 pilots who were asked to come back into the RCAF (Reserve) to help in forming a viable RCAF Reserve.

I had read about that in another book. Unfortunately most of the photo's have little or no information on the back. There is just time and places underwritten the pictures in the album. There is one photo that gets my attention. It is off a pilot who in one photo is in uniform and it appears that he decorated with the DFC and another two of him in civilian dress. He still has the 1000 mile stare even in 1927. I have scanned only the photo's refering to the RCAF,( there were photo's from Scotland, California). Will be glad to share. The album is going to the RCAF museum here in Winnipeg this coming Thursday.