PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NOTAM's on Google Earth
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 12:48
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker
eharding, my compliments. Despite the limitations of the NOTAM format, well done anyway.

I noticed that some NOTAMs, the one about danger areas being active, do depict proper airspace boundaries. Did you do something really clever here, or just hard-coded the boundaries of the well-known danger areas into the code?
I transcribed the relevant section of the AIP to derive the Danger Area boundaries. At some stage, there will also be a set of Google Map overlay tiles showing general airspace features at various zoom levels.

Regarding other FIRs, I've added the following:

France

Germany

Italy (a fiver says those Global Hawk routes are probably going South rather than West)

and, refreshingly NOTAM-free...

Ireland

The caveat is that the data for *all* of the FIRs is derived from the UK AIS NOTAM portal, rather than from sources in each nation (although it all comes from Eurocontrol).

You do need a browser with some Javascript oomph for some of those though. You'll note from the URLs that those are sitting on the development server at the moment, will get moved across to the main site as appropriate (i.e. when I'm sure the extra processing required doesn't kick the load above the free App Engine limit and Google starts debiting my credit card...)