PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GIBRALTAR
Thread: GIBRALTAR
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 09:13
compton3bravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport Opening?

Hi Stevie. Went over the border yesterday and the airport to me does not look like it will be open in May, still working on the outside of the terminal but cannot tell how the inside is progressing. At least they seem to have the aircraft stands ready - no airbridge - just old fashioned walk and climb the stairs. It is beginning to look like a proper airport at long last but the consensus of opinion is that it is rather over the top for half-a-dozen flights a day but it will be a lot better than the shoe box at the moment!
Regards the border issue have not heard anything about problems with the direct link between Spain and the airport. There was an outcry last year when the mayor of La Linea wanted to charge a 5 Euro fee for crossing the border which he was promptly put in his place by the government in Madrid.
There was quite a lot of security yesterday - they even looked at my and my partner's passport - which is very unusual but with the goings on just the over side of the Med I suppose you cannot blame them, they were only doing they job and very polite with it! If I hear any more I can pm you if you like. Cheers C3B
PS: There was four nice RAF Hawks on the military side which was a pleasant surprise.