PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scott Ritter-Weapons Inspector/Spy, Friend or Foe?
Old 10th Sep 2002, 18:49
solotk

Genghis,

Sorry for the delay in coming back on this.

As you're probably aware, a lot of the American public, have pigeon-holed Ritter in the "Benedict Arnold" camp.

The more vociferous, are comparing him directly to Hanoi Jane.

Scott has the most experience on the ground, of any weapons inspector. Furthermore, he is known, perhaps because of his outstanding personal, and family military backgrounds, as never taking the party line.

The Iraqi's disliked him intensley, for his dedication to turning over their weapons dumps, and never taking no for an answer. In a perverse way, they respected him for that.

Richard Butler on the other hand, had little or no respect for the sensitivities of the Iraqis, as well as coming across, as a rascist, being accused as much by the iraqi government.

Let's be honest,Scott has a new book, and film to promote, so what better than flying straight to Baghdad? Enormous PR.

However, the message he delivered to the Iraqi parliament, was not one of concilliation or supporting their cause. it was very much one of "Stop lying or start dying"

I don't believe Bush or Blair, or to cut to the heart of the matter, Con. Rice or the rest of the coterie of self-interest, have paused to consider Arab pride.

And that is the heart of the matter....

I think Saddam and Co. will place their official offer through Ritter, which is after all, what he wants (see self-promotion) and is probably pushing for, he wants to leave Baghdad, as the "Saviour" of the free world.

Saddam and Co get what they want..... one in the eye for Bush and Blair, the UN get what they want, and ironically, so do B+B.
It enables them to say, "Well really, we had to use all avenues, and the threat of force worked"...

I think you'll find, that Ritter is going for his "Glory moment"...

IMHO

P3