PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - spin, stall & first solo scary?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 06:12
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Happened to have dinner recently with an ex-instructor who used to demo inverted spins in the Macchi - wish this thread had been a bit further advanced a few days ago.

Chipmunk spin characteristics attracted enough interest in the '50s for the Department to spin test each and every example on the register - report stated "complete confidence in the spinning recovery characteristics of the Chipmunk and fully endorses the technique prescribed by the manufacturer."
I note my opinion that it would not meet the later FAR 23 spin and recovery requirement.

As for Sunfish's comment
It is possible for aircraft, even aerobatic aircraft, to get into unrecoverable spins if they are mishandled or
... an aircraft certified in the aerobatic category will not get into an unrecoverable spin even if it is mishandled. No guarantees on Experimental or Limited aircraft approved for aerobatics. There is one aircraft type approved for aerobatics here but intentional spinning is prohibited as it quickly enters an unrecoverable spin.

And Sunfish's other comment
Spin recovery is not part of the PPL syllabus
... it is optional in the PPL syllabus and I'd say that, at Moorabbin, there are more PPL students who do spinning as part of their PPL than those who do not.