PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - spin, stall & first solo scary?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 05:20
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centaurus, nothing wrong with inverted spins if your in the right aircraft and have the requisite training. Course mate Peter Clark (RIP - big C) ejected from a Macchi at Jervis Bay with his instructor, which I presume is one of the inverted spin accidents you refer to. Our ab initio training on the T-34 included inverted spins, usually only a demonstration if I recall, but a instructor with the right temperament would give you a go.

It is not part because too many people got killed practising
Not too sure about that Sunny, not too many aircraft about these days that are spinnable in any event. The only spinning accident I recall from an intentional spin was a RNSW Aero Club Chipmunk where a two bob piece jammed the stick when recovery was attempted. Spinning was part of the PPL course in the Tiger Moth, Chipmunk, Victa days. Some Tigers and Chipmunks were fitted with anti spin strakes on the horizontal stab to address some perceived spinning issues. Never flew any with strakes fitted, but the standard Chippy and Tiger had no problem providing you did it (recovery) by the book. CASAs predecessor did ban Chippy spins for a very brief period, may have been till they sorted the RNSW accident - too long ago to state the reason with certainty. People could get into trouble by not waiting long enough for the recovery action to begin having effect, and then start trying something else, which was guaranteed to fail. The Tigers spin was a leisurely affair as I remember from these 44 years distant, where as the Chippy generated more excitement, not so leisurely and the canopy banging (noise) around on its runners. But still no big deal - well not until Clem Atkins RVAC tried teaching me recovery from spins on basic instruments in the Chippy.

SPL-101, go ahead and have fun.