PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The official Avalon Airshow Thread
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 03:47
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both B1 s got airborne on Monday about Midday for departure. Those who saw the B1 on flying display days saw it get airborne in about 1200 m or so, very speccy, but when full to the guts with fuel they were really using a lot of runway 36, in fact most of it, to get up and away, except they didn't go away, they went round and round a few times with one with wheel up and one with wheels down. wheels up then departed to the north on climb and wheels down departed to the south for about 45 min and when they came back they landed back on AV. I was on the way home by then so missed the return.

I suppose there are a few hundred thousand pounds of jet A1 floating around in bass straight, possibly close to where it gets dug up, that lightened the load for Hawk 01's landing.

The B1 may have had a crap operational career in the USAF, but is the only military jet that rings my bell more than the F111.

I had a chat with the pilots on sunday morning, and they were pretty cool dudes who just love that monster.

HD