PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Bets On Replacement Over 737 Re-engining
Old 7th Mar 2011, 21:25
tuna hp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chillimausl
I wonder if pitching this as the 'replacement' of the A320 or B737 sets the right tone.

Looking out 20 years, it's quite likely that Airbus and Boeing will not replace the A320 and B737, respectively, on a like-for-like basis. If Airbus and Boeing believe their own projections for traffic growth, it's not clear that one aircraft type could or should replace the A320 or B737, in my view.

On the engine side, there could be opportunities for several engine manufacturers and several types of engine technology.
Exactly. If the 737/A320 was the sweet spot over the last couple decades, I would think that pax volume will increase somewhat and a slightly higher pax plane will be the sweet spot over the next 50 or so years.

As far as engines, there will be 3 engines available around the 2020 new Boeing launch: CFM Leap-X relatively conventional twin spool, PW geared fan, and a new Rolls triple spool. Smart money says that Boeing will pick two to partner with. And one will probably be the Leap-X due to more conservative design.