PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind up or wind down method
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2002, 15:52
Father Mulcahy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deputy

quote:

"I actually know people who have passed ATPL's using crp1, using compressability equn's and calculator instead of new £70 + whizzey wheel. Does anyone recommend this !!?? "

In the great scheme of a 30-40-50k frozen ATPL an extra 70 quid for a CRP-5 is not that much. I hear what you're saying, and in my ATPL Instruments/Navigation exams there were no compressability questions whatsoever... You pays your money and takes your choice. However the CRP-5 is much larger and therefore the dot of your pen will cover less of a spread of answers - some of the G Nav CRP-5 answers are really tightly grouped.

Re the Wind Up Method, Baz the Nav instructor at Bristol GS says, and i quote "Anyone who teaches the wind up method should be p&%sed on and shot, in the order."

There is a hell of a lot of wind side calculations in the Nav and Flight Planning exams you have to know your stuff, and not just the PPL finding heading/gs from wind/track/tas but wind finding, multiple drift lines etc. If the whole of the rest of the class uses wind down and the book gives all the explainations that way, why buck the trend ? If you're gonna swap to wind down, swap now, not two weeks before your exams during the brush up course.

Best of Luck

FM