PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA55 low fuel stop at goose bay AFB
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2011, 16:10
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually the answer is quite straightforward; it is to assign an aircraft type to the flight which has adequate endurance to handle likely weather conditions
But the 757 does usually have adequate endurance - occasionally, it doesn't.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't mandate an airline to operate a particular type on a particular route unless there is a safety issue, which, as SNS3Guppy has demonstrated above, there isn't. The airline operates a 757 on that route because it makes economic sense to do so - including the occasional fuel-stop in the overall route cost. If customers disapprove of that aircraft on that route, then the market will ultimately ensure that they book elsewhere and a change will be forced on the airline.

I'm really, really not spoiling for a disagreement on this one WHBM - I just feel that it's not quite as significant an event as the OP: I've stopped unscheduled many times for fuel on various aircraft/route combos - To me it just kind of goes with the territory. I can quite accept that there is another point of view however.