PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My predicament.
Thread: My predicament.
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2011, 13:05
FRQ Charlie Bravo

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a CP once (he's probably just figured out who I am) who had a bad run with an airline and found himself with about your twin hours but some more TT, an ATPL and a B737 endo. One thing led to another and he lost recency and found himself stacking shelves. His first flight in about a year I think was when he jumped into the C182 with me the day he arrived to take a job in a two company three pilot town out in BFE. He managed to very slowly clock up some Baron hours and left town with 498.5 Multi Command (the rumour was that he was going to private hire a Partenavia on his way to the job that required 500 ME Command).

If Facebook is anything to believe he is happy now back in another Boeing. I didn't understand it all back then but having left a flying job without a backup once upon a time I certainly understand now.

Another friend had just under 500 MEC and worked his tail off to get himself into a position flying a SE Warbird just to keep current. Networking from that job of course is how he found a way to his current seat at 0F on the Airbus. On the day that he started in the jet I'd say that he probably hadn't flown multi in well over a year (except for his IR renewal). That's networking if ever I saw it.

Mate, get back on the horse (even if it's just one that's worth about 285 real horses) and start clocking up some landings, most people won't care how many donks your recent ride had or even if it was under the IFR (of course this is a perfect time to plug the PIFR, you could fly IFR even in a SE if on a PVT op).

I hate to see professional pilots in your situation, it's a very unnatural state... but there's nobody else out there who's going to take it upon themselves to get you current and nobody in the business world ever cares about you as much as you should (I don't mean that in a prickish way).

Might I ask where you are currently living and where you would consider moving?

Chin up Tom,

FRQ CB