PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions IV
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2011, 09:30
Juan Tugoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
west lakes

I agree in the main with what you say. However, the baleful influence of the union would be significantly reduced should BA employ the 90 day route. The union would be largely powerless to prevent it from happening as their own QC admitted in court that this was a legitimate option for BA. Those stupid enough not to listen to BA communications on such a subject would be self-selecting themselves to leave the company. I also suspect that things would happen much quicker than people think, There would be a time window in which to accept the offer, failure to accept would lead to those failing to accept being given 90 days notice. This notice would not be worked, rather it would be paid off. Recruitment would be ramped up to cover the temporary shortfall of the few stupid enough to think they could ignore this deal. I am not sure that people who put themselves in this situation would really deserve any sympathy. It would be industrial Darwinism.

Bitterness over this dispute will linger, there is no way to avoid it, but the sooner it is over the sooner things will settle down. If fools leave the business because they failed to heed BA communications, that would perhaps teach others not to be so stupid and trusting of the BASSA leadership. The foolish notion that what BASSA says is gospel and BA can be ignored needs to be thoroughly discredited. If people lose their job over such misplaced trust then perhaps that will be the price of their stupidity. Stupid people have no place in aviation, nor indeed in any safety critical industry.