PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions IV
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2011, 08:32
bealine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still don't think BA would sack anyone on day 1 - just activate the 90 day take it or leave it option.
I am of the same opinion. To be honest, I don't even think the 90 day option will be exercised - the company could have done this ages ago.

British Airways, the company, strives to be a fair and just employer and for all the pomposity and belligerence displayed by individual managers and TU reps alike, the Leadership Team still want BA to be seen as good employers. I really think that "the company" still wants the new working conditions accepted voluntarily.

Internally, changes had to happen to enable the airline to hold its place in the industry and, despite the pain and hardship to family men and women, every department, save one, within the airline agreed to make changes for the sake of "business efficiency".

It's easy to blame BASSA, but I feel that their management must share some culpability for failing to communicate effectively the challenges that BA was facing and the sacrifices other workers were making. I still think that if the "rank and file" BASSA members had been kept fully "in the loop" that very few would have heeded the union's clarion call and very few would have lost their staff travel.

If it really, really wanted to, British Airways could put every single employee on a new contract immediately. With the formation of IAG, British Airways plc, the name under which our contracts were accepted, ceased to exist. However, the "Leadership Team" have that essential quality - a sheer British sense of fair play - and I'm sure the idea of putting all staff on new contracts in order to disadvantage them would be dismissed out of hand.