PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skyservice seek Air 2000 clearance
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2002, 14:04
Noctivaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus Girl, these sort of commercial tie-ups are fairly common and sometimes last for a long time. If memory serves Air 2000 and Canada 3 slept together for almost 10 years. The application clearly states the intention to use UK aircraft and UK pilots to service the contract. In effect, contrary to your post, this is about 40 Canadian jobs that are going to UK pilots when we have a huge number of laid off pilots in Canada, and many of them are B757 rated. I don't wish to debate the increase in efficiency etc, as that is bean counter territory. I do think however, in this day of world travel etc., that one is either FOR the increase in efficiency, meaning anyone works anywhere, or one is AGAINST meaning you only work in your territory. Given the huge number of UK pilots currently plying their trade under sunnier skies, and very many of them doing so voluntarily, I would think that your post hints at xenophobia. Would you want the expat UK pilots who are extremely capable and very highly qualified to return and take your job? I would think not. The flip side of that coin is that companies are allowed to make arrangements like this to their profit, and to a degree it works against many deserving qualified airmen(people). And not just in the front office either. Feel free to disagree with the contract if you like, but it sure makes someone's day.