PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2011, 04:58
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bravissimo signore Elipix!

Helipix, what can I say, you've done it .. again! Fantastico!!!

When it seemed as though the trail which led us to BAKU might have run cold resulting in a disappointing finale without any material evidence .. you came to the rescue with a most satisfying reward for the ramblings of the nostalgia thread! Again, well done!

Not only have you uncovered BAKU complete with her golden pegasus but, your image of her in colour in the UAE must, one presumes, be just as Sandy Toad last remembered her!

BUX is also looking good, Greenham perhaps? Then, as if this wasn't enough .. you've gone and uncovered a fifth helicopter from the Cadbury collection .. mama mia Elipix! And I was so sure that after our discovery of BAKU we had ascertained the full extent of Peter's fleet!

As with TRC I also noted AXGO at TRC's and VFR440's former place of work. AXGO, I am sure, along with AXJC, belonged to Charles Hughesdon.

As TRC mentioned, AXGO was written off but on 2nd March 1978. A synopsis of the accident reads:

A/C WAS ENGAGED ON A WATER SAMPLING OPERATION WHEN, WITHOUT WARNING, IT ROLLED TO THE RIGHT. CORRECTIVE ACTION HAD NO EFFECT & THE A/C CAME TO REST PARTLY INVERTED IN THREE FEET OF WATER. CREW MEMBER SAW PORT SKID TOUCH THE WATER AS THE PILOT LOWERED THE HELICOPTER INTO THE HOVER. CAA CLOSURE: THE WRECK WAS RECOVERED WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE OUTER SECTION OF ONE OF THE MAIN ROTOR BLADES. NO EVIDENCE OF A MECHANICAL FAILURE OR DEFECT WAS DISCOVERED.

I don't suppose you have an image of G-AZAG in your superb collection? This was the personal mount of Lord Dulverton but, to-date, I have fully failed to source any pictoral evidence of her existence!

To conclude, I am reasonably certain that, this time, with the discovery of AZBS, we have finally completed PTC's line up of rotary assets.

Best

S.