PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - jet/bird evasive action
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2011, 23:44
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sevenstrokeroll;

By way of intervention, the thread ought not to have been diverted by the 60deg bank issue but instead should have remained focussed on your original, laudable goal of enhancing awareness on the seriousness of bird-strikes.

There have been some very helpful, intelligent comments made here which, we may safely assume, are read by many who nevertheless don't post.

I happen to agree with those who believe that a 60deg bank is not a likely avoidance manoeuvre for a jet transport, for the reasons stated but that in no way negates the substantial contribution of the thread. (BTW K-9, in my experience 60deg bank steep turns were standard in an initial IFR/PPC ride, with no altitude lost/gained, no speed lost/gained. It is NOT a tough manouevre if you know what you're doing and can fly. I just don't think it is practical in a transport aircraft - great coordination exercise though, especially if done while climbing then descending...)

My own view, informed by analyzing flight data and seeing speeds in the data of up to 350kts in terminal areas of major airports (on migratory bird routes), is, (at almost 800fps), "why are you doing this?".

ssr, if the thread causes some to reconsider such a decision to fly their aircraft above 250kts below 10k, it will have been worth the beatings over 60deg's... ;-)

regards,
PJ2