PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - jet/bird evasive action
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2011, 21:27
K_9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sevenstrokeroll
dear canuck

thanks for acknowledging 60 degrees of bank (exceeding) as aerobatic...indeed the FAA only speaks of it as requiring a parachute in FAR 91.307

Dear K9...there are countless times I've seen bird formations above 3000 feet, not in either approach or departure. Therefore I do not subscribe to your contention that only in the approach or departure phase could you see and maneuver to avoid birds. Just because it has been beaten into the ground on PPRUNE doesn't make it so. Why not take the time to really look for birds at a distance?

I even remember seeing a small child's balloon (with mickey mouse shape) at FL350 with time to avoid if needed (vicinity of Ontario , California (yes, sort of near, but not that near Disneyland)

AS to my experience:

CFIIMEIATPMEL 737 type rating. I learned to fly in 1975 and am employed by one of the largest airlines in the world as a pilot. Any more would give away my employer's name.

So, polish up your spectacles. And keep your eyes on the sky and not in the engineering books.
Thanks for addressing that. However, I have to respond to your last quip--the engineering is what makes your airplane fly and the restrictions that exist are in place for reasons previously discussed.