PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2011, 19:53
ct8282

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do?

So, as a youngster I always dreamed of being a pilot. When I was leaving secondary school I just followed my friends onto A-Levels and never really thought much about the pilot dream at this point. I was young, enjoying college life, and hanging around with mates and enjoying life.

Into my second year of A-Levels I decided I wasn't really enjoying the subjects I had chosen and realised that by just following the crowds I wasn't really doing what I wanted. I left college and started on a 4 year apprenticeship working for an industry leading corporate company as a trainee Electronics/Building Services engineer. The course seemed to drag but I got through and then spent the next 4 years as a well regarded engineer within this company.
During this period the itching to be a pilot was growing and growing and I knew I had to do something to try and satisfy the itch. 6 years ago I signed up to the CTC scheme as it was back then and went through the very tough 2 day selection process, stages 2 & 3 as it was then. The first time round I got through to the interview but was put down as a maybe and asked to return 6 months later which I did. Unfortunately this time round my Grandad was dying of Cancer in a Hospice, and so I was not in the best of shapes and failed at the interview stage. I realise now that I just was not ready back then and this obviously showed through in the interview.

Anyway, shortly after this, within 5 weeks, I met a beautiful women who I have been with since who is now my fiancee. I am now a Sales Manager at the same company I was with (been there 12 years now), I earn £45k+ per year, have a sexy M-Sport BMW company car and own my own flat. I assumed that life was just taking it's course and I'd get married, start a family and live out my life. However, the flying itch just does not go away and I am now working towards my PPL, thinking that this might fulfill the ambition and I could get on with life.

Here's the problem. I know that the PPL will not satisfy the itch and that the desire and drive to be a Commercial Pilot just wont go away. I am now 29 years old, far more mature and experienced than I was 6 years ago, and know that I have what it takes to become a Professional pilot. I am already doing my research and considering my options with regards to Pilot training, such as Oxford Aviation, CTC, FTE etc etc.

Here's the conundrum. If I pursue these options and am successful in being selected to any of these training programs I would have to give up my successful career with all trimmings, and as much as my partner is very understanding, I also feel that this would be the end of that too. She is desperate for a big white wedding and kids, something I could not give her for many years if I were to follow my dream. I have become accustomed to the lifestyle I have now, with lots of nice things and luxurys and I would have to give this all up.

So, what would you do? Take the gamble of following the dream, put yourself through months of training with no guarantee of a job at the end, or play it safe and start on a family?