PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - jet/bird evasive action
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2011, 12:01
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts
Unless you have JT8Ds slung on your airplane, then you can plow through anything.
No, you can't. I lost a good friend in this accident, dating back to 1980:

18 November. XV 256 crashed on take off. The aircraft suffered a major bird-strike immediately after take off and crashed into a wooded are to the east of RAF Kinloss air base. Sadly, both pilots were killed but, due to their skill in controlling the crash, the remainder of the crew escaped. Posthumously, Flight Lieutenant Anthony, the flying pilot, was awarded the Air Force Cross and his Co-Pilot, Flying Officer Belcher, the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air.
(Copied from the RAF Kinloss webpages)

This was a four engined Nimrod, the first one we lost. From my own memory of the accident report, 72 dead gulls were found on the runway.

I picked up a number of Harrier Pilots and flew official photographers at accident sites in RAF Germany in the early 1980s when aircraft were lost due to Pegasus engines being terminally damaged by bird ingestion.

Also, the large flocks of Canada geese living on ponds to the south of Heathrow Airport were/are considered a major flight safety hazard to airliners.

Not convinced that radar works as a bird scarer but forward facing white lights do.