PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions IV
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2011, 06:25
VintageKrug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GayGourmet
In the past BA had to talk to Unite and were constantly frustrated by their resistance to change for customer benefit. Involving unite has proved time and again to be the least effective way to re-design service on board.
Evidence to support GG's statementHere is the HotTowelGate link:

BASSA LGW/LHR - 29/01/09 Hot Towels

And here is ClubWorldLondonCityGate:

BASSA LGW - 24/07/09 - Club World London City Service Update

you can see that BA originally wanted a la carte dining for London City, but it "wouldn't work" according to BASSA. Here:

LGW - 27/07/09 - CWLCY - Failure to Agree

you can see that Unite originally wanted Cabin Crew to have 24 hours rest in Ireland after operating the arduous (less than one hour!) LCY-SNN service.

While there may have been a few valid points in all that, it's just no way to operate a modern business.
I stand by my links (to Unite's website) supporting GayGourmet's posts; you can see both from the tone of the site and the facts of the matter that BASSA's approach was to frustrate the new service rather than embrace and support it. That was the point being made.

I clearly stated there "may have been a few valid points in all that" but there is no evidence that BASSA proposed new ways of working which would have addressed concerns (it is BASSA which stated that a la carte dining trials failed); once again it seemed BA had to do most of the running, with BASSA yet again failing to agree a variation to the Gatwick Memorandum of Understanding, thus requiring volunteers for the service. BASSA's stated response in the links "even if you have volunteered for this [new service] you can still withdraw your name at any time).

On the point of hot towels in WT+, this was still not part of the standard service on the very few occasions in the past decade or so I have not been able to be seated in Club or First. Do any passengers have experience of it being done on MF routes?

I have experienced CWLCY first hand, and the service levels are very good indeed; indeed I find Gatwick crews (and I fly quite regularly exLGW) to be much more relaxed and happier in their jobs than the otherwise good crews at LHR who are experiencing so much stress at work due to BASSA's former stranglehold on operations and working relationships.

It's good to see BASSA's influence waning.