PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britten Norman Islander Question
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2011, 23:16
sankamap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Bougair Islanders and Skyvan

I flew in all the Bougair Islanders and the Skyvan many times as a passenger between 1979 and 1990. The incident at Wakunai was in January 1990. The Islander I was in left Wakunai 15 to 30 minutes before the second plane. After we left the next plane landed and a BRA rebels arrived, ordered everyone out and set it on fire. Newsapers reported on it and had photos I think. Have seen pics of it on the net probably taken by a chopper pilot. PNGDF Iroquois picked up the pilot and passengers. My flight was from Nissan to Arawa and also just missed a shootup just before we landed in Buka. 2 near misses within an hour.

I can't remember the regos but the fire left the Islander beyond repair. This photo is not at Wakunai as there were no high fences there and the area looks very different. It has a caption saying Tabubil. The BRA were targeting Bougainville Development Corporation which had become unpopular due to a controversial politically motivated share deal.

The Skyvan had various nicknames due to its appearance but it did most definitely fly and was featured in PNGs first full-length feature film Tukana starring Albert Toro filmed in 1980. There is footage in the plane mid flight and of it landing at Buin. I remember the very high and large open cabin and rear cargo ramp.

Bougair's last chief pilot Isaiah Moroko from Buka passed away last year. The rego may have been recycled or this may be the other Islander that I was in on the day. The Bougair logo was a stylised head wearing an Upé initiation hat.

Here is a photo of the Bougair Islander P2 BAY.
BOUGAIR Parked on Runway at Piva North (Piva Unclie)