PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's be honest about the NPPL
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2002, 09:53
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe in essence the NPPL is a very good idea. My only misgivings are the fact that its being 'marketed' as a cheaper way to fly. At the end of the day, the ground exams are the same, the required flight standard is the same (baring a few instruments), the 'post NPPL rental costs are the same for those of us not owning our own aircraft, and for someone not already a µlight or glider pilot, the number of hours needed will be roughly (+/-) equivalent to the JAR FCL PPL, so I can't see any 'real' savings. (After 40 or so hours, I wouldn't have considered my self safe to fly friends and family around the skies). Upgrading to JAR FCL PPL will incure additional costs as well.

Ok, reduced medical requirements (not so much costs, mine cost GBP 50 last renewal) and for those already with the PFA and their own A/C, it is an excellent idea.

Now what would REALLY make a difference is if the CAA released a NPPL FI rating, allowing JAR FCL PPLs to gain this rating and instruct for free, without having to undergo CPL exams and class 1 medical. I for one would gladly give up some of my time to instruct for no fee....

I have no problem with the reduced hours aspect, if someone can fly after 30 hours then thats fine. I don't believe may 'new'pilots can though. Also I have no problem with reduced medical standards, the JAA Class 2 is far too stringent in my opinion.

Rgds
EA