PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EO SID / Special Take-Off Procedure - Include in App. Brief?
Old 5th Mar 2011, 13:15
4dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Are you in the takeoff splay during the missed approach?

Folks,

For performance engineering, the biggest problem in planning for missed approaches is working out where the aircraft will be when it actually achieves the missed approach configuration and has a relatively fixed climb gradient.

The first element is that it takes time and space to reconfigure from the landing configuration to the missed approach configuration and stabilise the climb - so there is a physical distance between the MAP and the start of the obstacle clearance plane which must be factored into the vertical plan.

The second element relates to where the aircraft goes during that reconfiguration - and the plan must consider the contingencies such as despatch without/failure of autopilot and OEI operations, the location of the MAP and the aircraft vector approaching and departing the MAP. This will determine the horizontal plan.

I would not permit the use of the EOI takeoff procedure for the missed approach unless I was satisfied that the aircraft had a 99% probability of being positioned within the vertical and horizontal constraints of that procedure. Generally, the vertical is not an issue unless the aircraft routinely lands heavier than it takes off. Horizontally, getting the aircraft within 90 metres either side of the centreline at the far end of the runway during an OEI IMC missed approach is rarely achieved, thus invalidating the EOI takeoff procedure as a safe plan.

And, to declare my hand, if Jeppesen says its OK - I automatically reject it! Watch what comes out in discovery on the first real law suit with a determined plaintiff and no plea bargain/settlement.

Stay Alive,