PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSA Clearance and M1-Visa Question
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2011, 19:36
HighFlyer75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSA Clearance and M1-Visa Question

Hi All,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this based on your experience. If I am already in the USA under the visa waiver program and I have previously completed the necessary training for an FAA PPL, would I be able to do the flight test without needing an M1 or TSA clearance?

I did my JAA PPL in the USA in October last year and at the time I intended getting a stand-alone FAA PPL. I did all the training for the FAA PPL to meet the night and extra manoeuvre requirements but I had to leave before I could do the flight test (weather delays and I couldn't extend my stay). I am now back in the USA and I am starting to look into the stand-alone FAA PPL again. I have a piggy back licence but feel that a stand-alone would serve me better in the long run.

My thoughts are that the TSA and M1 are primarily required for flight training purposes. In this case I wouldn't be doing flight training as such, I would just be organising to do the flight test directly (based of course on the assumption that my flying is up to scratch - which I believe it is).

I realise it's a bit of a stretch and if I have to I will get the TSA clearance and visa. I was just hoping to avoid it if possible. If anybody has any experience with something like this, please let me know.

Cheers,
HF