PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2011, 18:09
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G-BAKT - Was hoping to have left my ramblings of this craft for the Ferranti site but, seeing as you mentioned her .. there's probably no aircraft which has as much significance for me as KT.

My father met Col. Bob Smith through Sebastian de Ferranti. Bob and my father evidently hit it off striaght away and remained friends for life. As a result, my father invited Bob to become one of my godparents.

At some point Bob felt he ought to expose his godson to the 'other side' of aviation (my father being a reasonably accomplished private fixed-wing flyer). Several attempts were made, without success, one which occurred just a few minutes after I had left our home when Bob landed with G-BBBM on our property. I was as 'devastated' as an eight year old could be!

Bob promised that the following weekend (without fail) I would be introduced to the helicopter experience. Up until that point the only contraption which had captured my imagination was the Hovercraft, which I loved, especially Hoverlloyd's red and white beasts.

Lo and behold the day came when my father drove me to the Beehive at Gatwick. Sadly on that day Bob was off somewhere with Sebastian but, in his stead we were greeted by Ferranti's Deputy CP, a chap called Chris Hunt.

When we entered the hover I exclaimed "Its just like a hovercraft!" not knowing that we were headed to Ramsgate where Chris was to spend the day filming the Hoverlloyd beasts for an advert. It was a day of bliss for the young Savoia!

At the end of it all when we returned to the Beehive I had never been so sure about anything - I knew with all certainty that I wanted to fly helicopters.

Like many, there are numerous aircraft in which I have encountered memorable experiences but .. KT was by far the most significant for me.

Precious memories indeed!

G-BAKT landing at Glasgow in 1978 wearing the colours she sported while owned by Ferranti. (Photo: Robert Pittuck)

KT was bought by Ferranti from Julian Sacher and sold some years later to Express Helicopters of Southminster, Essex. She then moved on to Burnthills and thereafter Gleneagles.

Ferranti Deputy Chief Pilot Chris Hunt

After working for the British Aircraft Corporation Chris was commissioned into the Royal Engineers (1965) from where he was seconded to the Army Air Corps gaining experience in Malaya and Hong Kong. He joined Ferranti in 1973.

S.