PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions IV
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2011, 17:50
VintageKrug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally respect BASSAwitch's lower profile, though I disagree that a union can benefit from 28 days notice once it has clearly stated the records are not available.

I actually think today's ruling from the Appeal Court is positive; it is right that small technicalities should not be used to obstruct people wishing to conduct a legitimate strike.

But it really isn't that difficult to conduct a compliant ballot, and in BASSA's case the very stark "re-calculation" of the numbers post the censure by the Electoral reform Service does suggest there was considerable error beyond simply small administrative difficulties.

It seems Unite has brought in the big guns to get BASSA's membership records in order; so I don't anticipate any challenges on that fron this time round. HOWEVER, having said that, there will be several hundred people who will have resigned from BASSA following Duncan Holley edict to do so on 23 January 2011:

Holley: Now BA's plans are in the open I would like to send this message to everyone who has either left BASSA, voted NO, or to a lesser extent not voted.

You have been given your say and the majority has spoken. If you have any integrity you should accept Bill Francis's offer straight away because your actions and votes are a tacit acceptance of what BA propose.
Don't sit back and see if your brave colleagues who voted YES can fight your fight for you.

That is cowardice, you have made your bed and now you must lie in it, alongside Bill. Good Luck, it has been nice knowing you.
So while I think it will pass legal muster, I think it will still overestimate the current BASSA membership.

That still leaves the issue of connected strikes, which these clearly will be, and whether or not the action will be "protected" or not.

I think the three hours quoted is from doors closed to final collection, so that would align with the 2 hours from wheels up I typically experience when relegated to Club.

Either way, BASSA members should seek out the accounts and also challenge the basis upon which no election for the Branch officer positions have been held.

The vitriol which drawing attention to this issue attracts might suggest there is more to this than meets the eye.....