PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2011, 13:34
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
The experienced GA pilot route has worked in the past only because the airline has trained out the bad habits that many have picked up along the way and I have seen some appalling examples of poor discipline and flying practices in the bush
One needs to be careful of generalising when you say "the airline has trained out the bad habits that many (GA) pilots have picked up along the way."

I have flown with some bloody awful airline pilots and bloody dodgy RAAF pilots too and some excellent ones. I am never quite sure exactly what these "bad habits" are by general aviation pilots. In any large operation be it airline or GA, out of any say 10 pilots you will often find two very good pilots - two in the well below average category - and the rest normal average pilots. I have watched airliners taxiing far too fast for the circumstances and with inevitable hot brakes. Maybe the captain was a former GA pilot with a bad habit? Obviously that bad habit wasn't trained out of him. I have seen some really shaky crosswind landings in Boeings. Wonder why those pilots haven't got that bad habit, too, trained out of them. On the other side of the coin I have seen some superb crosswind landings done by skillful general aviation pilots.

I simply don't buy the tired old argument that because one is a general aviation pilots you are full of bad habits. It is a load of bollocks. Is a REX cadet first officer taught at the much vaunted elite REX Wagga training school have any more skills that his GA brother brought up on the other side of the tracks? Yes he has - but only at monitoring an automatic pilot in a Saab from 500 ft after lift off to 200 feet on final. Let's face it -that doesn't require pilot skills.