PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DH-82A Tiger Question...
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2011, 11:36
ABUKABOY
Bring back the Dak!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I seem to recall, being in the rear seat puts the C of G in a much better position for ground stability and resistance to tail-lift in rear-gust conditions, and the biting-in of the tail skid for steering and retardation, besides which I rather enjoyed the excellent long forward-empennage reference to the horizon available from the rear seat, a great visual aid to attitude-holding. The a/c when flown solo from the front seat is certainly more skittish. A careful calculation of exactly where the C of G is would need to be done before doing so, (I had a large movie-camera in the rear when I did it). Anyway, seeing where you've been and what you haven't hit in the process is all part of the fun. Why try and be different from the thousands of people who have tried and succeeded in ably flying this fine machine, from the rear "pilots" cockpit? The absence of a full set of engine and air instruments in the front of a lot of Tiger Moths would seem to bear out the designers' wish for the aeronautically competent to officiate from the rear.