PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life at Emirates
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2011, 10:47
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me that supposedly intelligent people can post such utter crap.

MosEisely, Kapitanleutnant, Gortex and others.

What pay cut are you taking about? I've been here over 8 years and have never had a pay cut. Sure, no rise that year, but that is not a pay cut, is it? As for 'Lifestyle degredation policy', care to elaborate further please?

There is nothing in our 'contract' that specifically mentions the hours we can work.
There is nothing in our 'contract' relating to utilities allowance. Even with the cap, nobody has had to pay yet, have they?
There is nothing in our 'contract' about a yearly 3% rise.

Niave? No, just very little understanding of basic employment law. So, perhaps we should put this 'contract' understanding to bed once and for all.

Our 'Contract Adjustment Letter' is what we signed for and, apart from pay increases and improvements, nothing has changed. The only thing that will change is your class of travel when you upgrade. A villa will be provided if available but this is not 'contractual'. Only that 'accomodation is provided', as some of those less fortunate found out in 07/08. In any event, the Company has the right to alter our contract at any time without notice. That's not unique to Emirates or Dubai. It's happened to many thousands of pilots in the US and is happeneing right now with BA cabin crew. The only difference is that they are 'voicing' their displeasure through industrial action. Good luck with that here in the UAE!

I'm not defending the Company. In fact, I agree with a great majority of those that complain about the poor handling of accomodation issues, as well as the unsustainable monthly flying and duty hours. I also think it stinks that we haven't had a 3% step increment for the last 2 years, something that almost every other major airline gives regardless. I also couldn't give a rat's arse about our profit share and would far rather see a set 2 week bonus each year if we make target. For that though, working hours would return to around 78 hours per month. Lifestyle and family time has become far more valuable than extra dirhams in the bank, not that we actually get the 'extra' dirhams for the hours, just flying pay. The profit share, whatever it is, should be the same % regerdless of your pay grade. Pay, across the Company, should be transparent.

Unfortunately, those that hold the purse strings have become obsessed with the profit share, as have the majority of our office workers. They, unfortunately, do not see the damage that this short sighted and self serving benefit has on the final product and those that try to deliver it. We complain because we care. Most of us have come here for the long term and naturally, wish to see the Company thrive. It is in our interest that it does. However, most of our senior managers, non local, will use Emirates as a stepping stone or as a final fling into retirement. With the profit share they make, their vested interest in the Airline's survival is short term only.

I just wish that those same constant pprune whingers would spend a little more time on researching basic facts rather than the constant diatribe of negativity that pervades their misguided and often innaccurate statements.

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 4th Mar 2011 at 11:12.