PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Connect to localhost.localdomain?
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2011, 09:44
The late XV105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pasted below are the contents of the smb.conf file that I am editing to try and solve the problem. In its current state with security = share the XP PC does connect to the folder shares but all other computers don't. If I change this to Security = user then the reverse happens. Totally maddening and I have not yet found another parameter to influence this behaviour.

Can you help teach me, please?

[global]
workgroup = XV105
realm = XV105
netbios name = WhiteBox
server string = WhiteBox
load printers = no
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
disable spoolss = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd
max log size = 50
max xmit = 65536
dead time = 15
security = share
auth methods = guest, sam_ignoredomain, winbind:ntdomain
encrypt passwords = yes
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775
local master = no
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
use mmap = yes
use sendfile = yes
dns proxy = no
idmap uid = 10000-65000
idmap gid = 10000-65000
dont descend = /proc,/dev,/etc
admin users =
null passwords = yes
map to guest = bad user
guest account = nobody
include = /usr/private/user_smb_conf/.overall_share
hide unreadable = yes
guest only = yes
keepalive = 30
[Configuration]
path = /Configuration
comment = System Configuration
public = yes
browseable = yes
writable = no
guest ok = yes

The Samba help file indicates that my problem should never happen. To quote from the guide:

If the service is marked “guest only = yes” and the server is running with share-level security “security = share”, steps 1 to 5 are skipped. (so this should apply to me using the above .conf file, but it only does for one of the PCs)
  1. If the client has passed a username/password pair and that username/password pair is validated by the UNIX system's password programs, the connection is made as that username. This includes the \\server\service%username method of passing a username.
  2. If the client has previously registered a username with the system and now supplies a correct password for that username, the connection is allowed.
  3. The client's NetBIOS name and any previously used usernames are checked against the supplied password. If they match, the connection is allowed as the corresponding user.
  4. If the client has previously validated a username/password pair with the server and the client has passed the validation token, that username is used.
  5. If a user = field is given in the smb.conf file for the service and the client has supplied a password, and that password matches (according to the UNIX system's password checking) with one of the usernames from the user = field, the connection is made as the username in the user = line. If one of the usernames in the user = list begins with a @, that name expands to a list of names in the group of the same name.
  6. If the service is a guest service, a connection is made as the username given in the guest account = for the service, irrespective of the supplied password.

Yes, account "nobody" exists from what I can see.

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited by The late XV105; 4th Mar 2011 at 11:04. Reason: Corrected list numbering error