PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East Unrest !!!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2011, 20:08
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's hope it stays that way.
Don't see how it can.

I sense a growing amount of frustration that the hitherto peaceful marches, roundabout occupancy etc. doesn't seem to be yielding the desired results (as many and varied as they are). The marches are being increasingly used to disrupt traffic, ranging further afield. Extrapolate that a bit, and it will get interesting.

On the other side, the economy is in free fall. Friends in retail report sales running at 40% of usual- mall traffic well down. Even filipino shop girls are being preventing from returning to Bahrain after leave. Hotels are nervously hoping that the GP can be salvaged later in the year- or else. One only has to see how the roads are no longer traffic logged (especially on the Saudi weekend) to imagine what must be happening at cash registers. All this is yet to impact us wage slaves, but there are ramifications. I don't know how long those that are the keepers of the Golden Rules will talk before they act; all this on a local level, without any reference to geo-political stuff.

Interesting times.

Edited to add: I just came across this.....
My Mushaima said on Wednesday that protesters have “the right to appeal for help from Iran” if Saudi military units interfere in the struggle. Tanks were seen crossing the 17-mile causeway from Saudi Arabia to Bahrain on Tuesday.

“These were supposed to be Bahrain’s tanks returning from Kuwait: that is not a credible story,” said Firas Abi Ali, a Gulf expert at the risk group Exclusive Analysis.
from here Saudi Arabia contagion triggers Gulf rout - Telegraph

Last edited by ferris; 3rd Mar 2011 at 20:36.