PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X-Plane help!!!
Thread: X-Plane help!!!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2011, 16:35
HappyPass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very happy that you managed to work it out!
I would like to suggest you to do two things

You should learn to fly it by hand, which is the most important skill in aviation, even in these times of super-duper automation.
You simply can't put a price on the thrill of maintaning proper altitude, climb rate, speed and heading while flying a complex SID in marginal weather leaving the earth behind you and piercing the clouds towards the sun.

At the same time, try to learn how the airplane works. The systems. What everything is for: starting from the items which are essential to the simulated experience (IRS, FMS, trim, lights, autopilot) and working your way up, learning the intricacies of hydraulics, electrics and fuel system.
Study the procedures: how do you take off, how many degrees of flaps in which circumstances, which speeds to maintain etc.

Be curious, don't ever be satisfied with a yes/no answer. Find the reason behind it.
And when you don't understand something and a thorough (I said thorough, don't be lazy ) search doesn't yield the desired result, always feel welcome to ask any questions.

Remember, this wonderful hobby is not only about "playing the pilot", but it is also about learnign how things work (and having a whole lotta fun in the process!).
Best regards