PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2011, 16:04
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peter Cadbury

When we first mentioned Peter Cadbury (aka Peter the Cad or just PTC) around page two of this thread, I had an inkling that (given PTC's effervescent nature) we might happen upon one or two discoveries.

From my time living in the UK (early 70's through '84) I recalled Peter owning a helicopter, a Bell 206 named G-CHOC. Enter PPRuNer MrChopper who disclosed that PTC had owned an Ecureuil, G-JANY, so named after his last wife. Great stuff! Then last week I was emailed an image of G-BBUX which also turned out to be a 'Cadbury-Copter'. I was astonished!

Today I came across a response on the Aviation History and Nostalgia forum which read as follows:

FAStoat wrote: On May 3rd 1975 I flew G-AXNZ into Preston Candover to be met by Maurice Gore, to be flown back to Blackbushe in the Air Pegasus Aztec. Unforunately this was needed to be elsewhere so Peter Cadbury fired up a Yellow and Black JetRanger, G-BAKU, and we flew back to Booker in that. I had only had a go in a Gazelle before, so was a bit kackhanded with the very twitchy control on the JetRanger when you had too firm a grip. I remember Peter being very amused at this. Anyway we got back to Booker safely.
"No problem" I thought. "This (G-BAKU) was obviously one of Mann's 206's which PTC probably had on loan but no .. blow me down .. this was also PTC's. Fantastic!!!

Well I never! From one to four helicopters courtesy of PPRuNeland and some faithful friends who regularly mail me aviation images to add to my growing assortment of photos.

I am especially pleased over the discovery of BAKU as, unlike PTC's other 206's, this one (presumably his first 206) was an Agusta variant.

PTC's helicopter line-up now looks like this:

G-BAKU AgustaBell 206B May '73 to Sept '75
G-BBUX Bell 206B Dec '75 to Sept '77
G-CHOC Bell 206B Sept '77 to Nov '80
G-JANY AS 350B Oct '79 to Nov '81

As you might imagine, I am now keenly on the prowl for an image of BAKU.

Also from the 'other' nostalgia thread:

Chevvron wrote: Peter rang us (Farnborough Air Traffic) one Christmas asking when he could deliver our Harrods Hamper. At that time, Farnborough was officially closed from Christmas Eve until after New Year, but some of us who didn't want to take leave went in anyway. We arranged for Peter to enter the zone which he did in a Squirrel G-JANY. He landed and got out, and to our surprise was wearing wellies and courdorys.
Great Stuff! The last wellie-wearing pilot I encountered was in 1980 when the late John Akroyd-Hunt (former Alan Mann pilot) came up with PPRuNer TRC (so I believe) to rescue The Dancer (Colin Chapman's 206) after her engine went out. He was quite the 'flying farmer' replete with chequered shirt!

Personal Message received (and copied with permission):

Loki wrote: This is the second time Peter Cadbury's name has come up in the last 24 hours! Yesterday I was at a reunion of Heathrow ATC staff (I was at LHR 1970-1973). There were many anecdotes told, some being about Cadbury. Because of the proximity of his private airstrip to the London Control Zone, he relied on ATC to be flexible to allow him to operate. Needless to say, he often offered trips to ATC staff. I went once from his Hawthorn Hill site down to Plymouth, where he was the chairman of Westward TV. We turned up early on the morning and had to help his "man" to push the islander out of it`s hangar .. other people were often offered drinks prior to departure. I know there is a Heathrow veteran who has a wealth of stories regarding Peter Cadbury. You might try the ATC forum for a response.
Please keep the Peter Cadbury stories coming. We've already mentioned the time he burnt a hole in the coat of an Alan Mann mechanic (oops, again, sorry .. engineer) when he selected the cabin heat (on an early model 206) during ground runs and I also related the story about him taking a Bishop for a spin and scaring him half to death!

PPRuNer Chevvron also wrote:

I arranged a trip with Peter one day in G-BESO. It was at Bembridge for maintenance, a company pilot was going to bring it back to Candover, then we would go back to Bembridge to drop off the pilot and return to Candover.

When I arrived, there was no-one there but, after a couple of minutes, a JetRanger popped up over the hedge, came in and landed. Janie (Peter's wife) got out and said "Peter says do you want a quick ride while he's got it running?" Naturally I said yes, went over, opened the passenger door, put one leg in and we were airborne!! Hardly had chance to sit down let alone fasten my seatbelt!!!

Peter explained they'd had his grandchildren for tea and he'd just taken them home.
Peter certainly seems to have been quite the man!

Peter Cadbury (centre) accompanied by his wife Benedicta and Douglas Bader (who was best man at their wedding) at the Royal Court Theatre on 30th July 1959

Anyone with stories, photos or other material relating to Peter Cadbury and his flying days .. please feel free to chip in.

S.

Last edited by Savoia; 3rd Mar 2011 at 18:25.