PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-registered aircraft, operated in Germany with a FAA-license. Maintenance?
Old 3rd Mar 2011, 13:17
German guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-registered aircraft, operated in Germany with a FAA-license. Maintenance?

Hi everybody,

I strongly consider to purchase an aircraft (Piper PA28) in the UK.
I am German and also live in Germany, but would like to leave it registered in the UK,
what is possible, according to the CAA's website. The reason for this is, that I don't
want to have all the trouble of re-registering it in Germany. The other reason is, that
I hold a FAA private pilot's license and that the CAA (other than the German LBA) would
allow me to fly G-registered aircraft VFR without the need to convert the license.

Long story short - this sounds quite hassle-free and convenient.

I think that I got the registration stuff figured out, but still don't understand the
CAA-requirements regarding maintenance. I know that there is the thing called CAMO,
I know that every pilot Germany is complaining about it, but this is pretty much where
my knowledge ends.

I am now mainly wondering about two things: could I bring the aircraft to a German
CAMO-certified company to get the annual inspections done or would I need to bring it
to the UK? Is there somewhere an (easy to understand) overview of what the CAA's requirements
for the maintenance of a GA aircraft are and what maintenance the owner is allowed to do?
For example the German LBA requires an annual check of the avionics, I heard that
this is however not the case in all EASA-countries!?

Any other thoughts about permanently operating a G-registered aircraft with a FAA-license in Germany?

Cheers,

Oliver