PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SATA brand new A320 ; hard landing in Lisbon
Old 3rd Mar 2011, 11:20
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PBL
those who need to review this history can check the testimony of Yannick Malinge before the Brazilian parliament in August 2007
Originally Posted by CONFiture
Would you have a link for that, I would be very interested to read what he had to say.
Sorry, I don't. I'll see what I can do about quoting you the relevant bit, but it will take me some time as I have two deadlines I am working on into next week.

Originally Posted by PBL
I would make a great effort to introduce more automatics and the pilot-plus-large-dog concept of crew.
Originally Posted by CONFiture
Can I see some contradiction in your argumentation as you acknowledge more automatics bring more possible situations, known or still unknown, but in the meantime you see more automatics as the ultimate solution ... !?
Contradiction, no; tension, yes. To put it crudely, there is a big juggling trick in all this. My blog post of 3 September 2010 suggests that, if things continue to go the way they appeared in 2010 to be going, automatic execution of routine manoeuvres might improve the safety figures. Another interesting article of which I was recently reminded, by Bob Charette in the IEEE Spectrum in December 2009, Automated to Death, for which I was also interviewed, contains some interesting views from engineering psychologists, as well as from my colleague Martyn Thomas.

PBL