PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane wreck believed to be Earhart
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2011, 03:05
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Billings comes across as a typically thorough LAME, with attention to detail. However, I'm having trouble getting my head around the location of the wreck, seeing as Earhart's navigator was supposed to be one the worlds best, and had plans to commence his own navigation school.
The location is just so way off course of any likely location of Earharts L-10 Electra, that it's just a real stretch of "likely scenarios" to come to the conclusion that it is Earharts Electra.
What does surprise me, is that Billings doesn't appear to have done any research on any other L-10 Electras... or Electra-lookalikes... that went missing in that region, either pre-War, or early in the War.
Surely, any other similar big twin that went missing in the region, in that era, would have been recorded?
A single L-10 was supplied to the Japanese Navy Air Service for evaluation. Is there any record of what happened to that L-10?

Justin Taylans Pacific Wrecks website gives a fairly good rundown on the Earhart wild theories and stories... as well as the New Britain wreckage... and most conclusions are, that the WW2 veterans found only an engine, not a complete aircraft, on New Britain.
The PW website also mentions the possibility of any L-10 wreckage on New Britain, being one of the Dutch L-10's, captured by the Japs in Java.

Pacific Wrecks - Amelia Earhart Myths from the Pacific War

Last edited by onetrack; 3rd Mar 2011 at 03:31.