PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old and Bold ATCOs
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 21:08
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Leo

I'm worn out reading all the things you do! I'm sorry that I appeared to be having a 'go',but apart from the excuse that I was still pi**ed-off about Sunday's result (long suffering Arsenal fan!),it did seem to me on first reading as if ATC was the only thing in your life.
I was obviously mistaken,so once again sorry.

I still,though,maintain the belief that enough is enough. As I was approaching my mid-fifties it did concern me whether I would be able to cut the mustard at LL until age 60. Early retirement was not an option for me as I did not join until I was 27 (having been a RAF navigator first),could not afford to buy the extra years for a full pension when my 3 children were growing up, and as I too lived in Somerset, moving into a 9-5 job was out of the question. Anyway like my friend Heathrow Director I was only interested in talking to the aeroplanes.

I suppose it's all about horses for courses; many of my pilot mates were happy to stop flying completely at Cathay and BA's old retirement age of 55,while others could not give up and some now own shares in light aircraft so that even in their late 60s they can still 'pole' a bit.

Best wishes, Leo - I shall PM tomorrow as I'm keen to swap notes.

Brian Wildey