PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somali Pirates
Thread: Somali Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 17:48
hval

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Loerie,

Unfortunately I have not been able to respond to your postings, and I am in somewhat of a rush at the moment. I do apologise. I shall endeavour to respond to some of your comments. My apologies if I pick the easiest points.

1/ Blockade Somalia - not feasible. The number of vessels required would be large. Without enough vessels the blockader could be decoyed away and off the pirates sail. Also many of the boats might be difficult to pick up on radar. Next what about legal fishermen and supplies? National boundaries may also be a problem.

2/ Blockade Somalia - not all pirates come from Somalia

3/ Set up stations in the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea where ships could stop to take on about four Marines. - Nice idea, poorly thought through. I can see lots of issues. Ships sailing in pirate infested waters to get to said Marines. Ships would be coming from all directions. You would be better off boarding Marines at port of departure. Insurance may be void if you have weapons on board.

4/ “The Israel’s have been doing this for years on their own coast, and Australia patrols a much longer coastline. Given Somalia’s sad economic state, not many boats are going to or from Somalia so there shouldn’t be many boats to search." - The sentence "Their own coast" gives it away here. They have humint on shore; they can use their own coastal regions and hinterlands for resources, bases, airfields, ports etc. They can control access to their coastline from land, as well as from sea. Their aircraft have airfields reasonably near by. They are in control of the area. Finally there are more vessels than you might believe.

Finally, finally, I must state again that the area where pirates are operating is big; really big; really, really big. In fact vast. There are just not enough assets to resolve the issue how you might like. Also, travelling distances takes time. Ships are not fast. Ships on patrol that are able to go fast and do, do not stay on patrol as long as they might. Fuel is an issue, as is maintenance of items and hulls and all else that suffers at high speed.

Once again, my apologies for not spending more time on your points. I just do not have the time at the moment.

Hval